Monday 21 March 2011

Bad day for food, good day for CONSCIENCE.

I gave blood today. Sorta decided on a whim, but they were at uni and seeing as I'm a bit weird/masochistic (I loooove injections - I look forward to them!) I thought I would. I've been meaning to for a while anyway. It's something that's always played on my conscience. My mum lost a LOT of blood when she gave birth to me, and if she hadn't had a blood transfusion, she would've died. And I sometimes think how life would have been without her. And to give blood, and be able to make sure another mother survives to bring her daughter up with love and care? Aw man. Pulls my heartstrings.

I went with M, and she's given blood a few times before but is quite squeamish and can't really look. I find it all pretty fascinating. I don't like to look when they put the needle in, but I like looking at the needle in my arm - it's pretty massive, strangely. You'd think it'd hurt more. I also like looking at my blood collecting in the bag and thinking wow, that's MY blood. How often do you get to see so much outside the body? Hopefully not too often. The tube was touching my thumb, too, and it was really warm. I just found the whole thing interesting.

I had to do a weird test beforehand to make sure I didn't have sickle blood cells or something (they test anyone who's mixed-race) but that came out ok. I have super-blood. Lots of iron. Maybe it's because I don't get periods? So I don't lose a whole lot every month. I dunno.

Anyway, they make you eat loads of biscuits and sugary stuff afterwards so you don't keel over, so today was a bad food day, but that's ok. I feel like it's a legitimate excuse. I want to be able to replace that pint of blood pretty quickly. I think my health gets the priority today.

Chuffed! Sorry, I feel on a bit of a high after all that.

Did cram in some decent tap dancing, so at least I got a bit of exercise. Ahem. One of my seminars has been cancelled tomorrow so I might try and squeeze in a gym sesh inbetween my first seminar and dance. If not, deffo Wednesday morning. Zumba! Haven't been in ages.

Found out today that M's about 12 stone. She was feeling faint after the blood session, and had to lie down. The woman asked her how much she weighed, and she was all "I don't know." The woman said "I really need to know." She went "err... about 12 stone, I guess."

M doesn't look that much bigger than me, so it's weird thinking she weighs 3 stone more. She's only a dress size bigger. Guess she has big bones? Still... 12 stone is 168 pounds? I bet a couple of my male housemates weigh about that much. Like A. Her BMI would be... 26.3. She said that when we got weighed at the gym back in September her BMI was only just in the healthy range? That's classed as overweight. Maybe she's put on weight since then.

I'm sort of reeling from it. I'm hating myself enough for weighing more than 125 lbs. I don't know what I'd do if I got to 168. She complains about the size of her boobs, and the doctors tell her to lose weight and see if it goes down. But... she can't be bothered. She eats a lot of crap. But she goes to the gym loads. She always says, we're not pushing obesity, so why waste life dieting? Which is a good attitude. But still... I dunno. I'm torn as to how to feel about that. I feel guilty even mentioning it on blogger. She's big-boned. I'm not. I keep forgetting we're different people.

Hmm.

Q x

4 comments:

  1. I hate injections, they make me feel sick :/ well done for giving blood though, it's for a good cause :)
    As long as she is happy enough with her self that is ok I supose :)
    stay strong,
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. bravo girl! proud of you for doing such a selfless thing!

    it's hard knowing that your closest friends might weigh more than you, it's something i struggle with alot. but if she's happy where she's at, i think it's ok to feel a little bit good about yourself for weighing less :)

    Think happy and skinny thoughts! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love needles! haha that sounds kind of weird but I like watching the blood go up the tube. I always find it strangely fascinating. a family friend of ours has aplastic anemia and required weekly transfusions, so I wish I could donate blood to give back, but I'm not 18 yet. mmmm but those cookies sounded good! :( I never cease to be shocked by people's weight, it's always so much different from what I think it will be. stay strong sweetie, <3RaeLynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like giving my blood, but i faint everytime i watch it

    ReplyDelete