Sunday 6 February 2011

Hoooray for the gym

It's top. It really is. I seem to have hit a point in life where the cross-trainer DOES work me out (makes me a sweaty Betty) but the rowing machine still doesn't. But that's cool! Cross-trainer and treadmill, I'm at your mercy. I've also been playing around with the weights machines - biceps, you are my bitches.

AND I've found out there's a power plate at the gym. Which I seem to have missed. ZOMG. I love those things. They're hilarious. Everyone's all "ooooh, it's so embarrassing" (assuming they mean to be jiggling away in public view), but I'm determined to give it a go - I hear it's a hardcore muscle workout. I kind of feel like it's cheating somehow, but that's alright.

I'm in a weirdly good mood. It's half past 10... on a Sunday... I shouldn't even be AWAKE... but I'm so happy! And I don't even know why. Literally, I have no reason.

Oh! I saw Hot Boy From London at a club last night. But again, stupidly, I let him escape! That sounds bad, like I had him tied up. It was probably my fault. It seems to be a social decorum here to be all chatty and flirty for a while, and then be like "ooh see you later then..." and then find them later on the dance floor or somewhere and get jiggy or something. And he was so on it. I could've easily pulled him. Even though I was dressed up like some kind of weird UV slutty fairy for D's birthday (at least the boys looked stupider than I did.) I remember saying to him "I look like a twat." Well, best to be honest. He was talking complete rubbish, like when boys want to keep talking to you but don't really know what to say, which is always funny. And he kept commenting on the colour of my bra... ooer. Well, anyway, this is painting him in a strange light, but he was on it. I could tell. M could tell. She got very excited about it all, bless her. Oh! And he was still taller than me in heels. Which I'm happy about. Remember me saying he was quite a little bloke? Apparently not TOO little. So that must make him about 5 ft. 9 I reckon. Not bad with the midget that is me.

Heh. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. I swear, though, next time I see him, I'm GETTING his number. Or at least giving him mine. I'll find a way to do it!

Did run into Boy, and spent a lot of time dancing around with him and his chums. The boys and even HIS friends were massively embarrassing, acting like we were going to snog or something. No no no. No way in hell. He looks nice these days. When I was with him he had this little surfer mop going on and dressed like a surfer (it was Summer, I suppose), and I mean he IS a surfer, so that isn't too weird, but now he's cut his hair short and looks much more... polished. All shirt and skinny tie and neat hair and shaven face. It was nice to be able to just dance with him and it not be awkward (the alcohol helped), but we're never going to be friends. Anyway! We've done all that. Bored of that.

I'm going to lunch with a couple of friends of mine today. Erck. How to avoid the menu... I'm so WEAK up against a good menu. We're going to a Wetherspoons, too, which in the UK is a massive chain of bars with nice atmospheres and cheap, nice food, and it's especially cheap in my part of the world. Oh lordy. Get a salad, get a salad...

The Pretty Skinny Crew were out in force last night, with their tiny, skimpy outfits and their tiny, skinny bodies. I feel justified by the fact they have NO personality, but they still looked hot. If I lost weight, I could be that hot AND have the personality. Why oh why do we seemed doomed to one or the other! The other day one of them wore a dress with a cut-out part in the stomach, and in the photos you could just see her abs bulging through - and she does NO exercise. NONE. None of them do. They eat like crap, too. Loads of junk. Why is life so unfair????

Sorry for double-nominating you, Ariana, I'm a bit of a tit. You did ask about American/English different words! Lemme think... well, I know Americans say trash or garbage, but here we say rubbish. I always go on about talking rubbish. Just imagine loads of, er, garbage coming out of my mouth. Ergh, weird image. So a trashcan in America, is a bin here. Or a dustbin. Or a wheely-bin. If it has wheels. Which a lot of them do.

You say cellphone, we say mobile. Or just phone, these days. A junkyard is a skip here. We get in lifts, not elevators. We go to the loo, not the bathroom. Or just the toilet. We snog each other, we don't make out. We eat chips, not fries. Fat off ones! On that note, we eat crisps, not what you'd call chips. Fish n chips, mm lovely jubbly. My dad always goes on about when he went to America and accidentally asked for a burger and chips, and they literally gave him crisps. Which sounds hilarious. We call each other 'mate' a lot. I don't know if Americans do that, but I can't really imagine it in an American accent. Maybe you say 'dude'? Also, boys are lads. Being a lad is such an image, like a rowdy boy who enjoys football and drinking and is loyal to his friends. Good boy! LAD. Again, not sure if that's a thing in the States. Oh yeah, football is soccer to you. Pants are trousers. What we call pants is our underwear, what you'd call panties, but both girls and boys wear pants. Though girls wear knickers, too. Loads of these I bet you already know... I wish I could think of some obscurer ones...

I went to New York and asked for a glass of water and the waiter just stared at me. I was shouting at him "water! Water! I want water!" and after a while he went "oh, waaahder" and ran off to get me a glass. Don't know how that relates to anything, just thought I'd throw that in, ha. Didn't know pronounciation was such a language-barrier!

The Harry Potter films aren't too accurate an impression of Britishness, despite generally having every decent British actor in it worth their salt (except the young ones. They're pretty terrible, especially the main 3.) The books, however, are. I can't even imagine reading the book in an American accent in your head. I'm still always surprised the books even caught on in America at all, they're just so screamingly British! I've always heard Americans don't really get British people, which is understandable, we're off our rocker.

The other day I was chatting to a girl from America, can't remember whereabouts she was from, feel like it was a state that started with a vowel. Her language seemed so polished. She spoke slower and every word had so much clarity. We waffle away and break up our sentences and don't pronounce our Ts but you lot seem to put a lot more thought into your speech. I asked her if she had any trouble understanding anyone and she said quite a lot. She was chatting to M, though, and seemed to understand her, despite M having a very thick London accent - even I couldn't understand her when I met her, but I've tuned in now and often have to translate her words for other people, haha.

We have a lot of Americanisms in our language, though, but that's because we're so exposed to your culture. The vast majority of films that come out here are American, and we get loads of American tv shows too. My favourites: Gossip Girl, Ugly Betty, The City... can you tell I'm obsessed with New York? Lost, Glee, 90210, The OC (back in its day), Friends, all those sitcoms...

My god, I've been rambling away! Signing out now. Love y'all. Or, to be more British, love you lot!

Q x

3 comments:

  1. this post is so cute! stay happy darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gym = amazingness! The cross trainer and treadmill are really the only things that work for me also. The rower and bike are good but I don't feel like I'm getting a great workout (unless I'm on the bike in a spinning class). Unless I'm sweating and tired, I don't feel like I've worked out any.

    I love your UK words! They're much nicer than American ones in my opinion. I'm going to write those down and start incorporating more UK words in my conversations =). We don't say 'mates' or 'lads' at all, but I like those words! You all are my best mates! :D And 'knickers' always makes me smile! I like that better than panties.

    I've never seen the HP films *gasp*, only clips of them. See, to me (along with the Narnia ones) they sound British. But to British folks, they're accents are really bad...honestly I wouldn't no the difference! I guess that's why British folks laugh at Americans who are trying to do an English accent because we never get it right. I wish I had an English accent, I really do. There's a professor here I met once who's from London and I could sit an listen to her talk all day! I really love taking about culture and differences between countries. Oh, and I bet Americans don't understand the British humor (or 'humour,' if you prefer ^^). Also, (compared to Americans), the British act much more sophisticated than we do (or what I've seen anyway).

    I like Glee and Friends! I wish we had much more British/European shows...I don't think we have very many at all (that I know of at least). I liked Hollyoaks and Skins but I had to look all over the internet just to watch them =(. Thank you for sharing all of that!

    And don't feel bad for double nominating me, it makes me feel special ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny all the british speak you were describing is pretty much exactly the same in australia. respect to the motherland! haha.
    woo sounds like that guy is interested in you - get his bloody number next time! xx

    ReplyDelete