Monday 24 January 2011

Oh good lord! 510 calories?

Finally finished the work!! All essays handed in today so now I get a week of FREEDOM. Hooray!

Eating's been ok actually - sticking generally to the 2 4 6 8 but I need to control the late night eating. Last night I had a bowl of shreddies, dammit. That was probably about 200 cals on top of that. Still, Rick told me 9 stone 3 this morning, so I can only hope it keeps dropping...

OMG. If you live in the UK, or can get on this website anyway (wasn't sure), go on bbc.co.uk/radio1 and click on the little picture that says 'convert your pints to calories'. Then you just follow the instructions and enter your details - tells you how many calories you consumed when you drank alcohol, which for me, as a student, is a twice-weekly occurrence. I put my other-night details in (most of a bottle of wine - I averaged it to 3 glasses, and 2 double spirit + mixers when I got to the club) and it told me I'd had 10 units in that night (ooer), spent about 17 quid (which was wrong - where I live is VERY cheap) and had 510 calories from it - the equivalent to a burger and and a Danish pastry. I starve myself in the day and then have a burger and Danish pastry in the evening! Horrible. Horrible horrible. I didn't even drink that much that night in comparison to normally. Admittedly it wasn't as bad as I expected (my friend said her friend got about 2500 calories from one night out) but that's still rubbish when you're trying to restrict. I assume you lot aren't as awful binge-drinkers as me...

Thing is, it's so HARD to avoid stupid amounts of alcohol when you're at a British university. It's just the NORM, especially if you join a sport or hobby and go on socials. My NY resolution was only to go out once a week, and when I told my friends, they all shot me down; "what! That means if you go on a social you can't go out with your friends until the next week? And then you have to avoid the next social? Don't be stupid, Q. You won't be doing that." and, as tragic as it is, I can't really avoid alcohol on nights out or it's just rubbish. I've done that before - designated driver - and the night drags and you have to deal with all your drunk friends and that just makes me dislike them (I'm not a fan of drunk people). I might give up alcohol for Lent just so my friends don't think I'm absolutely mad if I spontaneously do it now, and try and continue it from there... I need to find out how to have a good night without alcohol. At least no hangover! And I can't even justify why I'm doing it, as if my friends knew how much I calorie-count, they'd think I'm just as pathetic...

It's tragic, it really is. Feel free to look at me and think 'what a loser.' I'm looking at myself and thinking that right now.

Hey ho.

Still haven't hit the gym - intend to go tomorrow morning now I'm free and go every day until I'm back at uni and have to start organising days. No excuses now - got to get back into the cycle.

DEAR LORD, PLEASE LET ME LOSE WEIGHT FOR EVER AND JUST BE SKINNY AND STOP MAKING THIS WEIGHT LOSS MALARKEY SO HARD. I DON'T CARE IF I'M AT A NORMAL WEIGHT RIGHT NOW, I WANT TO BE SKINNY. TA.

Q x

4 comments:

  1. wow that's exactly what I'm dealing with right now. I'm a senior at a college in the U.S. and three of my best friends a djs, one's a go-go dancer. They all want to go out at least four nights a week, and I always want to join them. I easily average more calories in alcohol than food.

    some tricks I've found lately are to drink water in between my alcoholic drinks, even out of an alcohol glass (like the other night I just filled my beer bottle with water). A lot of times I find myself just wanting a drink in my hand because I'm a little nervous, so after I have one or two alcoholic drinks, I switch over to water for a while then if I really want another drink I can have one.

    The only thing I haven't gotten a hang of is refusing wine at dinner. Ohhh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally looked into it. A lot of the pro ana's I am following always talk about drinking this and alcohol that and it's usually a common mention. I always wondered, if alcohol was like a different kind of calorie intake or something wierd because everyone just keeps drinking!! LOL Anyways, don't worry and just drink the less caloric drink, from what I understand wine is the less of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear taking an asprin before drinking helps with hangovers, but I wouldn't know for sure or not (I've never had alcohol actually, the smell of the stuff makes me sick...I don't know how you cn drink it!) It always feels great to be done woth all your assigmments for a while and have a week of freedom from school! Your friends shouldn't put you down just because you don't want to drink! I know alcohol is the norm around universities but since the UK has a pints to calories website, I guess you all enjoy your alcohol more than Americans do!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh i totally feel you on the alcohol front. i've just been boozing it up almost every night in thailand for 2.5 weeks. the calories in the stuff are ridiculous! vodka is meant to be the skinny girl's drink and even a shot of it has 60 cals! i think i managed in thailand by just doing a whole lot of running around and dancing while drunk to burn off the calories. when i'm sober i will always have fun if the music is awesome - i could dance for hours and sing till my voice goes! so make sure you go places with great music :P
    xx

    ReplyDelete